Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Journey to Holiness

I have spent some time the past few days, reading over status updates on Facebook and going back over old posts on my blog. I am reminded of the quest we are on, pursuing holiness and Christ likeness. The word "holiness" is what I felt God choose for us as a family this year. I wrote the following post in January and just went back to read it.

http://firstthingsfirst5.blogspot.com/2011/01/one-word-focus-2011-holiness.html

So, how are we doing in this quest? The fact is, we will all face the challenge to respond in a Christlike manner every day. If we do well today and follow His ways and walk in His light, we still wake up tomorrow with a choice to do it again. We do not bank points on a "good day" so that we can slack off on a "bad day." Jesus is our measure, He modeled perfection and submission to His Father's ways. Every single day, He chose to put God's plans, God's standards, above His own desires. We were not left without a model. Jesus came to the earth, He walked upon dirty paths and was challenged each day, as we are. He faced ridicule, false accusations, temptations and trails like we face each day. He went to the cross, willingly, while people were spitting on Him, mocking Him, taunting Him. There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, that we will face that will come close to comparing to the pain He suffered for our sake. He is familiar with our weakness, in tune to our sufferings, aware of our longings. He has provided a way for us to stand, pure and holy, in a wicked and depraved world.


"He was oppressed and He was afflicted,
Yet He opened not His mouth;
He was led as a lamb to the slaughter,
And as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
So He opened not His mouth." Isaiah 53:7 (NKJV)


"Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4"14-16 (NKJV)


Dear Lord, I want to be like You. I want to act like You, talk like You, think like You. I want to love like You love. Cleanse my heart, O God. Make it true, pure, worthy of honor and favor. I want to shine a light in a dark world. I'm not ashamed of You, I am not ashamed to be called Your own. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit, wash me and I will be whiter than snow...

"Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me

Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity."


No comments: