Earlier in the year I read a blog post from another mom.
For her birthday she and her children performed “random acts of kindness” for others.
I loved the idea and decided that I wanted to make my birthday a day of sowing kindness.
We left our house this morning and went to Walmart where we bought 39 packets of flower seeds.
We made cards for strangers that read…”Today we are sowing seeds of kindness. God has been good to us and we want to share His love with you. He loves you (yes, you!) and His plans for you are good! Jeremiah 29:11-13
We distributed those cards and seeds strangers and friends…our hairdresser, an old mentor who helped us when the boys were younger, the lady who checked us out at Walmart, and the district manager at Little Caesars.
We came home and made notes for our neighbors that read…”We’re sowing seeds of kindness. We are so glad God planted you in our neighborhood.” The boys ran from door to door to deliver the notes and seeds.
For the past week, I have pounded the pavement asking for donations to bless the middle school students in our home school co-op. They have worked hard this year and were not able to participate in a huge competition because of the untimely snowstorm in March. I have collected some great gift certificates for them—for ice cream, milkshakes, pizza and fro yo. I am handwriting notes to each one and choosing note worthy character traits. In their bags will be a packet of seeds with a note that reads…”We have grown together this year. I’m so glad God planted you at CKC. Go and sow seeds of kindness.”
I asked the boys to choose someone to bless today. Carson took some of his own money and helped me to buy a Subway gift card. As we drove from place to place, he was seeking out the one he wanted to bless. He even asked me to add tax to the card amount so the recipient could get a $5 foot long sub and not pay for the tax. He choose to give the gift to the man who holds the sign for Little Caesars.
Jordan took $5 from his own bank. We placed it in an envelop with a card and he choose to leave it as extra tip for our waitress at lunch.
We enjoyed lunch at a local Italian eatery. Table cloths and cloth napkins, we sure are fancy!
I asked the guys to cooperate with me for a photo shoot. They did. For the most part. Our intention was to set up the tripod and get some family photos, but the light was fading so Darrel just snapped a bunch of me and the boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment