"Do you ever feel like every other mom in the world has "got their act together" except you? Some moms...you know the ones...seem so perfect. Their kids only eat organic foods. Their house is always clean. The clothes are always put away the day they are washed. They never get angry with their spouse. They make homemade meals at least 5 days a week. Their kids don't watch tv because they are too busy making crafts and reading books with their mom. Their kids' socks always match and their hair is always combed. Their kids brush their teeth twice a day every day and start flossing when they are toddlers. They never bounce a check. They only buy things that are on sale (plus they use coupons) and never waste money on themselves. Their library books are always returned on time. Their socks don't have holes. Their teeth don't have cavities. They exercise.
Sometimes I wonder if those moms....you know the ones....really don't have it all together. Maybe they just appear to. Maybe they want us to think that they do. Maybe behind closed doors it's a whole 'nother story. Maybe they spend way too much time trying to be "that mom" that has it all together and way too little time enjoying life.
I'm not supermommy. People often tell me that they don't know how I manage homeschooling and having three kids. It's tough. And I have realized that some things I just have to let go for the sake of not just living my life but enjoying my life with my family.
I know I can't be the only mom who lets her kids eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch 5 days a week. Who sometimes throws clutter in a closet and closes the door when company is coming over. Who lets her children skip a day--sometimes two--between baths (gasp!). Who gets tired of cutting out coupons and being frugal and who sometimes just likes to go to the store and buy what she wants to buy without regard for sales or budgets or meal plans.
I just can't be the only one.
And I spend way too much time trying to be that person. And I fail miserably. I set way too high standards for myself that I know I can not meet. So I have decided to relax a little bit. Not take myself so seriously. Not get all uptight if I don't use coupons at the store. Or if I forget my reusable bags. Or if I don't recycle a spaghetti jar or two.
Because life is too short to spend it trying to be "that mom". I'm going to learn to be content with just being the mommy that I already am."--written by my friend Laura Saufley...this says so much of what I feel, so I thought I'd just repost her sentiments rather than write my own. THIS MOM is tired!
1 comment:
Oh how I struggle with this issue as well. It's so easy to think we're not matching up to "that mom".
Great post, by both of you! :)
Post a Comment