Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Have Hope

Romans 5:3-5 (New King James Version)
"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

I must admit, I find myself growing very weary most days. The trials and tribulations of living life seem to overwhelm, suffocate and confuse. I know in my mind all the verses I should quote, I know in my heart that God is faithful and will never give me more than I can handle. I know in my spirit that there is no amount of suffering that I can endure on this earth that will ever compare to the glory of eternity in heaven. Still, life is hard. I reason that God knew it would be, that is why we are given verses like these. If life was to be easy, we'd have no need for passages that encourage us to press on, persevere and run the race.

So often, I want to jump straight to the word "hope" in these passages. Shame on me! I see that there is a divine order to all that God is and all that He does. I am reminded again today that every trial I face has the potential to make me "bitter" or "better." Oh, how I long to be made better. I see the bitter creeping in and I want to run so far away! I find myself wanting to avoid certain places, situations and people in order to keep from feeling hurt. I want to love as He loves, forgive seventy times seven (and then some), set boundaries to keep myself from being left vulnerable. Tribulations can produce perseverance. Tenacity. Resolve. I want to persevere.

Once I have persevered, I begin to see character in myself. Oh, how I long for that to be His character! I want to look like Him, speak like Him, love like Him, think like Him. I mess up each and every day and have so far to grow!

Once His thoughts become my thoughts, His ways my ways...then I will begin to have hope for a brighter tomorrow. Not for a perfect tomorrow. Our world is becoming more and more wicked with each passing day. Trials will abound. The Word reminds us, in Romans 5:20, "Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more." This is where I can find my hope. My hope is in the One who was and is and is to come. The One who never changes or shifts like the wind. The One who has been faithful and will remain. The One who is preparing for me a home in eternity. I have a hope.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Beautiful Heather! Thank you for sharing from your heart! I would love you to Guest Blog this on my site! Would you? I want my readers to hear these stories and messages from more than just me! ;-) Let me know! Love you!