Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Creative and Thrifty Gift Giving Ideas

Some of us cannot spend money, but we can invest our time and other resources into making gifts that others will remember. Create a CD with tunes that you think the gift recipient would appreciate. For me, worship is my favorite music so I enjoy making different worship mixes for those I love. Some are peaceful and calm, others are more upbeat, good for workouts, staying awake in the car, etc. Two of my besties have fall birthdays and I didn't have the means to send gifts this year. I found cards, made a worship mix and for less than $1 each (price of the CD and the stamp) I was able to let them know I cared!

Another great idea I just stumbled upon is to have older siblings record themselves reading books for younger siblings. Isn't that a darling idea? The older child can choose books he knows the younger one/s like and record himself reading.

For those who are musically inclined, find someone with an at home recording studio and ask if they will let you lay down a few songs to give to a loved one. This is something our family MUST learn to do. SOON! My dad finally purchased a recording mixer and we are now without excuse! I have begged him to just sit at the piano and play whatever comes to him and give that instrumental gift to his children, parents and others who love to hear him play.

Give coupons for acts of service or quality time.
*Free house cleaning
*Free oil change
*Free babysitting
*Free mowing or yard work
*Free hugs and kisses
*Free hedgehog cage cleaning (this is a priceless gift at our house)
*Free room cleaning
*Free (any chore you know they don't like to do)
*Free scrapbooking time/assistance
*Free ____________ (send me your suggestions and I'll add them to this list!)
*Free night of sitting in PJ's and looking through magazines together (that's for my dear NM!)
***Just be sure you follow through with the gift given***

Other Ideas:

Create a scrapbook to give to someone, sharing how they have impacted your life. I have many ideas for how you can do this, contact me and I will give you a discount on Creative Memories products to make your project a snap!

Books, books and more books! Check out local book fairs, closeout stores and the link below for tons of books that are $1-2 each!

http://www.libraryanded.com/index.html

Explore, experiment and more! Always shop around and find the best deals at Ebay, Amazon, etc. Many items are available for free shipping. "Green Science" and "The Wild Goose Company" are brands we enjoy. Below are some of our family favorites:

Ein-O Science Kits:

http://aetoy.com/einosc.html

Hex Bug Robots (stocking stuffers this year!):

http://aetoy.com/einosc.html

Other great science kits found at:

http://www.discoverthis.com/eco.html

Slope sliders from LLBean. 4 sleds for $20. Limited time, spend $25, get a $10 coupon for future use. Use LLBean credit card for free shipping.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=50860&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr


Check out Molly's Frugal Christmas Gift Ideas (movie night themed gift, game night themed gift, popcorn lovers themed gift, sports themed gifts, all for $10-20).

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs093/1101381905269/archive/1102800850879.htm

Magazine subscriptions--as the Internet is becoming our main source of information, many monthly publications are bringing down their rates! Check out this link for an awesome pick, "Thriving Families" from Focus on the Family. Just $9.99 for 6 (bi-monthly) issues!

http://go.family.org/thrivingfamily/

Gift Baskets--the sky is the limit! Just be sure you don't blow your budget on the basket! Theme ideas at link below.

http://crafts.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_thrifty_gift_baskets

Gift Jars--Most of these can be made for less than $5 each! Muffin mixes, cookie mixes, hot cocoa and flavored coffee mixes, make up your own unique creation! (Hint: buy jars in bulk on clearance so you don't blow your budget on the container.)

http://crafts.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_gift_jars

Create "I Spy" bottles. These are fun for kids of all ages and adults might even join in the fun. Ideas at the site below, but use your own creative juices too! If you make these in bulk, you'll get more bang for your buck! Use recycled soda bottles to be even more cost effective. You may also make smaller versions with bags, key chain change holders (with clear window), etc.

http://www.squidoo.com/i-spy-bottles

Send me your ideas and I'll add to this post!

2 comments:

Joesette said...

Great ideas! We're leaning more towards the homemade gifties this year for families as well.

Unknown said...

Thank you, H! This list is awesome!