Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Simple, Tried and True Gift Giving Traditions

In our house, we follow the "Three Gift Rule." Jesus was the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Ruler of all and on His birthday He received three gifts. Why, then, should we get any more? Within that limit, we are also pretty careful about spending between $50-75 on each boy. Some think that is a low amount, others consider it too much. We are trying to find balance in our lives and not get stuck in the rut of commercialism and greed. For our family, this just works. Each boy receives gifts from grandparents, aunts and uncles, so the haul is still pretty hefty. We usually pick out a Lego set for each boy and rotate which one gets the "big set" each year. Then, I choose a learning game, science kit or art themed activity to give to each one. Finally, I compile a box of books for B, C and J. Those are the gifts that keep on giving! This year, each one will receive 8-10 chapter books and several more science or nature themed books. These will carry us through many long winter days and nights. Check out the following link for incredible prices on Christian books and resources. Most of the books I purchased were $1-2 each!

http://www.libraryanded.com/index.html

This year I was blessed to be able to do most of my holiday shopping for the boys online. In just a few hours, clad in my fleece PJ's, from the comfort of my own home...DONE! Now I can focus on gathering gifts for my grandparents and my dad. I do their shopping for them, searching for good deals and saving them the energy they don't have to be out in the crowds. Since I do enjoy shopping (for bargains) and my money supply runs out quickly, this works for all involved! I take Grandma's $10 limit/child for her 10 great grandchildren and I find $20-25 retail value for each one. I take Dad's $50 limit/child for his 9 grandchildren and find $100+ retail value for each one. Works for me!

The sooner I get all that out of the way, the less hectic December will be. The rest of the month can then be peaceful and filled with cozy days and nights at home with the ones I love. The true meaning of Christmas is so much easier to find when I am at peace and not running 100 miles an hour, in 20 different directions!

No comments: