Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Final Nine Weeks of School (March 29-May 21)

Bible

Matthew 22:37b-40
Matthew 25:34-36, 40

Writing/Reading

The boys continue to write each week in their journals. I am encouraging them to use stronger words in their writing, not overused and tired words. It is exciting to see them growing in this gift, I believe that each of my boys has the ability to write well and to express emotion as they do so.

Most days the boys still get a two hour quiet time. Some days I let BC read to his younger brothers, the latest pick is a "Ralph S. Mouse" book by Beverly Cleary. I am also reading aloud to them from the Mandie series, books that I enjoyed as a young girl. Our favorite Hero of the Faith book this year was the one about Amy Carmichael. I wept as I read portions of that book to my boys. We have been stretched in our faith as we've read about those who lived radically for Christ long before us.

English/Language Arts

A Beka continues to stretch us! CJ and JI studied creative writing, proofreading, using "there, their, they're, himself, themselves, its, it's," reviewed nouns, verbs and adjectives, capitalization, plurals, contractions, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, "may and can, teach and learn, a and an, sit and set, to, too and two."

BC's work gets rather difficult the final quarter of each year. I feel stretched to understand what he's being taught, but he seems to grasp it so well. He does a fantastic job diagramming sentences, a child after my own heart! One unit this quarter covered adverbs (ask the adverb, adverbs that modify other modifiers, using "well or good," diagramming adverb phrases, distinguishing between adverb and adjective phrases, writing adverbs, etc.). His final unit covered prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections. WHEW!

Spelling

Continued with Spelling Power program.

Math

Continued with Teaching Textbooks program.

Geography/Science

Vocab words
*sandbar
*strait
*tundra
*geyser
*taiga
*steppe
*island
*seamont
*reef
*key
*atoll
*archipelago
*iceberg
*crevasse
*glacier
*penisula

Countries "visited"
*Japan
*Russia
*Austrailia
*Antartica

**We added/extended a unit on ocean life and coral reefs. We read many fantastic books and watched the National Geographic IMAX presentation "Under the Sea." We also took several field trips and studied the history of some of the national lanmarks in Washington, DC. We visited the Science Museums of Virginia and Maryland.

**We took our end of the year evaluation on the geography we've studied this year. At the start of the year, BC could identify about 14 countries on a map. The twins knew where to find the United States and Austrailia. They studied 105 countries this year. On the test yesterday, BC identified 105/105. CJ got 99/105, JI got 85/105. Mom? I was able to remember 84/105. This is quite an accomplishment!

Physical Education

Spring, blessed spring has arrived! The boys spend hours outside each day, getting exercise on their bikes and scooters. BC's new passion is the "Wave board," a two wheeled version of a skateboard. When he first bought it, I was very nervous. But my determined firstborn mastered that contraption within 48 hours of buying it! He is required to wear a helmet at all times, and he gets incredible leg workouts on the board. He's been teaching his brothers some basics, but I'm not sure I'm ready for them to own one yet. The boys play baketball, football, baseball and jump on the neighbor's trampoline. They are really good about playing with younger neighbors or cousins who come over to share the yard and playset. They've complete another level of golf instruction (this is their fifth year in the First Tee program) and they are growing in those skills. I am thankful for healthy, active and athletic sons!

No comments: