To the beautiful women in my life....
On Saturday afternoon, against my better judgment, I pulled into the Walmart parking lot.
I needed face scrub, mouth wash, and a some random grocery items, so I went to the "one stop shop."
Even though I knew I would regret it.
(I despise Walmart for many reasons, but sometimes when I need an odd assortment of items, I go anyway!)
I wasn't even through the doors before it happened.
A long, leering stare. A crooked smile. Another. "Do I know this man?" was the question that raced through my mind. "Surely he knows me. Surely a total stranger would not look at me that way. Maybe he's trying to remember where he knows me from.”
Then, leaning only inches from my face as I pushed my cart by, "You're pretty,"
I sucked in my breath and hauled past him, while my skin crawled and my heart punded.
It has been years since I have encountered such a creep (and that also occurred in the same Walmart) and the emotions that smacked me in the face were the same.
Disgust. Rage. Anger. Fear.
"Will he follow me through this store? Will he follow me HOME?" were the questions that plagued me.
That experience was so violating. WHY do so many men think they have the right to stare us up one side and down the other? WHY do they think they can SAY things to us, when they do not even KNOW US? WHY don't they care that TERROR shoots through our veins with a look or a comment?
I felt tears stinging my eyes as I thought of women like YOU. In your high schools, at your jobs, on your college campuses, at your jobs, even in your own families, you have endured abuse at the hand of men. There are many forms of abuse (sexual, physical, relational, verbal, emotional or spiritual). Often, the very ones God placed over us to protect and honor us are the ones who do the most damage to our hearts.
YOU are worthy of HONOR.
YOU are not an object to be looked upon, pawed at or misused.
YOU are more than a beautiful face or a curvy body.
YOU are beautiful, and you are priceless.
YOU are a gift to the world, and there are specific things that only YOU can do.
When God made YOU, He broke the mold.
YOU are loved by the God of the universe, He knows everything you have done and everything that has been done to you.
And, still, HE LOVES YOU!
No one else can touch the heart of the Father the way YOU do!
If you have been mistreated in any way, I beg you to find a trusted, godly, mature woman to talk to! If anyone ever tries to blame you for the abuse, find someone else to talk to.
This experience unnerved me and I am almost glad it happened, because it reminded me of the sick state of our world and the reality that YOU face, perhaps on a daily basis. Do not hide from the pain, bring it into the light where Jesus can HEAL every broken place.
No comments:
Post a Comment