Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year's Revelations--What the Word Says

I am not a fan of New Year's resolutions. I never have been. I've tried to set lofty goals to read the Bible, eat healthy food, not eat unhealthy food, exercise more, and on and on and on. Usually by January 7, I've already blown it, I feel like a failure and throw my hands up in defeat. What is the point?

This morning I woke up with these verses burning in my heart...and it hit me...if we all made these our resolutions, or rather, our revelations, this world would be a better place...Will you take these verses, print them out and discuss them with your family over dinner? Will you hide His word in your heart and walk with me in making first things first?

1.) LOVE GOD. "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And those words which I command to you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:4-9

2.) LOVE OTHERS. "So He answered and said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."" Luke 10:27 (NKJV)

3.) PURSUE HOLINESS. "...but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." I Peter 1:15 (NKJV)

4.) PURSUE PEACE. "If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18 (NKJV)

Each of these points is a massive undertaking, I could write passage after passage to support each one. Sermon upon sermon could be preached about each one. I won't dig deeper for you, but I hope and pray that you and your family will dig deeper on your own! I pray that 2011 is a year of revelation as we learn how to love Him, love others and pursue His holiness and peace in all situations.

Happy New Year!

No comments: