Monday, May 2, 2011
Home Schooling In The Midst Of "Life"
I recall the years that my sons were enrolled at a local Christian school. It seemed that each year, we hit the third quarter and had almost as many absences as days in attendance, mainly due to illness. As we did makeup work (at home) I thought, "We're already home schooling, and yet we're paying tuition to the school." In my heart, I knew there was a better way. The first year that we home schooled, my firstborn was sick for almost eight months. I remember the sadness I felt as I watched him suffer, and the relief I felt, knowing that he was at home, in my care. I could watch over him and not battle the mental war of "should he go to school today or stay home?" When he was stronger, he could work on a subject, then close his books and rest in between. It was as if God Himself gave me the seal of approval, "Home is where your children need to be." The following year, we encountered another crisis. In the midst of those battles and beatings, the only thing that kept me going was the fact that my boys needed me and that I had to get up each day to care for them. This past year, we faced the illness and loss of a loved one. For nearly three months, I was able to support my extended family, without neglecting my children. Many nights I would get home late (or not be able to come home at all) and I thought, "If I had to put my kids on a bus in the morning and send them to school while we feel this sad, I don't know what I'd do." Each day we were able to regroup, cuddle on the couch, talk through the emotions we felt and plan the activities for the day. My boys grew in compassion for those in crisis, hearing their prayers and concern each day ministered life and hope to my own heart. I am so thankful that we chose to home school our sons. This has been the single greatest choice we have made for our family and I cherish each day I have with my boys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment