Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Happy Ninth Birthday, CJ and JI!


CJ,

Are you really nine? I can hardly believe it is possible. I can remember the morning we left for the hospital, knowing you were about to be born. While you and J were in my belly, I knew which one was you and which one was J. I was determined that you, Baby A, were to be born first. I already knew your personality--energetic, feisty and (as your name is defined) daring. Sure enough, at 8:00 a.m. that morning, January 12, 2001, you were the first one the doctor pulled out. They brought you to me and I was overwhelmed with emotion and love for you. The first 24 hours of your life you had a little trouble with your breathing, so they put you in the "sick nursery" to be monitored. How I ached for you. I held J, but you were not with us and my arms felt empty.

I have watched you grow from a five pound, 12 ounce baby to a sweet infant and an agile toddler...you have always been a little on the petite size, so people think you are younger. Your agility had not been deterred by your size. Even as a toddler in the nursery, people commented on how easily you got around, like a little mountain goat. Coordination and athletic ease have always been with you, just one way you are like your daddy. You grew from that toddler ("It's ME!) into a sweet preschooler who was adored by your teachers and classmates. Everywhere you went, you made friends, a stranger to no one. Then, kindergarten grew you up into a little boy and I saw time racing away from me. By the time you were in first grade, my heart was done with sending you off everyday for someone else to enjoy. You were too important to me, and our time together was precious and fleeting. I wanted more time with you. We decided to home school and in second grade, I had you all to myself for the best part of every day. That was, by far, the best decision we ever made for our family. You thrive on being at home have learned that your brothers, JI and BC are the best friends you will ever have.

And here we are, halfway through your third grade year. You have grown into such a little man and I hardly know where "my baby" has gone. We still get lots of snuggle time but I am seeing how fast life it passing by and I wish I could slow it down. You are an amazing person and I am humbled that God has allowed me to be your mommy. How did I get so lucky?

In the past year, I have seen you grow in the gift of intercession. Your prayers blow me (and your daddy) away. You speak to God so easily, you know He is listening and that He is your best friend. The way that you pray is beyond a level that most adults every pray and I hope that you will only grow more in this gift as time goes on. You love people and when you pray for others, you always ask God for His protection. Wow. Wow. Wow. Stay close to Jesus, and all of life's up and downs will not take you from Him.

You are an avid reader. I see a hunger in you to learn and to read books. It reminds me of myself when I was your age. Every chance I could get, I was in a book! You are diligent and persistent and move through your school work with ease. Most days I reward you with extra reading time while we wait for your brothers to finish their work. I've been amazed to see how quickly you memorize the countries in the maps we're studying. At the start of the year, you were able to identify about four countries. Now, I bet you could name over 40. Great job!

Beyond your studies, you continue to enjoy any and every activity that involves sports. You can hold your own in any situation that involves a ball, a court, a field or a net. Again, just like your daddy! You new passion is playing your Nintendo DS and I do have to remind you often to shut it down and get something else done. As a family, we have been playing more games together and you are a fierce competitor, you keep me on my toes!

CJ, you are so precious to my heart. I love you and I cherish every moment we have together. I do not know what the next year of life holds for our family, but I know that wherever He takes us, you will go with the flow and do your best to make the most of any and every situation. Stay close to Jesus, put Him first in all things. Honor and respect your family, obey mom and dad...and you, my dear son, will go far! I love you more than words can say!

Love,
Mommy



JI,

Oh my dear sweet boy! As I wrote to CJ above, it is hard for me to comprehend that you are really nine years old. It was just "yesterday" that I they held you up to me in the operating room, our first face to face encounter. So perfect, so tiny and beautiful. You kept me company that first day, while CJ was in the "sick nursery." I have held you close to my heart ever since. Our first months together included many sleepless nights of cuddling on the big green couch. We were living at your Poppy's house and I'd sneak downstairs at night with you and CJ, so that your Poppy, Daddy and BC could sleep. I'd sit upright on the couch and hold one of you on each shoulder, patting your tiny bottoms until you fell back to sleep. I would doze in and out and did my best to be coherent for you all during the days. I was a very tired mommy, but you and your brothers kept me going when many other things were falling apart around me.

I remember sending you off to preschool and thinking it was not possible that you were already that old. And now you are NINE? How can that be? Wasn't it just yesterday that we moved into our house on K Street? You and CJ had shared a crib at Poppy's (we'd place you at opposite ends, but you'd always find your way to your brother and snuggle with him) and when we moved, we gave you each your own crib. I remember when you would stand up and bounce like little monkeys in a cage, with those blue pacies in your mouths. Oh the memories! Your big brother BC was always so proud and protective of the two of you. He still is!

You are growing up so fast. I watch you grow and change, day by day. Lately, you have been singing more. You will be lost in thought and be humming or singing to yourself. Oh, how I hope that you will soon share that gift with the rest of the world. I have been waiting patiently to have you and your brothers join us in our singing ministry. Maybe soon?

Your dad and I are often amazed at how your mind works. It never stops. Ever. You always have a Lego design, an art project or a creation being formed inside your head. Sometimes this really messes with you, as you try to get through your school work. You are so bright, but some subjects are just too dull for your creative mind and you don't always want to do the mundane tasks. Thank you for persevering when you'd rather be creating! I know God will use your keen mind to do many things that will help others.


You recently discovered a series of books (all about animals) and suddenly, you LOVE to read! At last! We have been trying to get you interested in reading for the past three years and now you are hooked. I love to see the way your face lights up with pride and a sense of accomplishment when you bring me a complete book to write on your list. Way to go!

You have a sense of humor that is witty and unexpected. You put words and phrases together and keep us all in stitches at the dinner table each night. Your joy and zest for life are contagious and even on the hardest of days, you can make me smile!

You want to be a big brother. Even though CJ is only one minute older than you, you consider him to be your big brother. Almost weekly, you ask me, "Mom, is it time to adopt yet?" You are ready and I know that you will be a super big brother. You play so well with children of all ages and any little one would be lucky to have you as a big brother.

JI, stay close to Jesus, listen to His heart, pour out your deepest longings to Him. He has set you in our family and in this world to do things that only you can do. He has gifted you and places such a tenderness in your heart, always stay near Him and you will change this world for His glory. I love you so much, my precious "Bug."

Love,
Mommy

No comments: