Sunday, August 9, 2009

Slowing Down...To Catch Up With Life

I realize that I don't post much when I am down. We've had more sickness in our home and I don't like sounding like a broken record. Two weeks ago, on July 27 B was so sick and we thought he had Appendicitis. We took him to his pediatrician first, then they sent us to our local hospital. They did an ultrasound and blood work, put him on IV's and by 9 that evening, we were on our way home. They declared it another virus. Oh me oh my! We spent the rest of the week taking care of a very sick little boy. His fevers were high, his stomach was sore, it still looked like Appendicitis...By this Monday, he was beginning to look alive again.

I have been fighting all kinds of tummy yuck, as well as some weird back pain. D and J said their backs hurt too, so that may indicate a virus as well. We opted out of two family reunions and I'll be honest...It feels good to be able to stay home, rest and just BE as a family. It's sad that it takes sickness to slow us down. One of my favorite books is "The Too-Busy Book" by Linda Anderson. I read it several years ago and it helped me to learn to say no to many draining, exhausting activities so I could say YES to life and the fullness of the what He has for me. I decided it was time to blow the dust off that book and dig in again. Oh, how I need the words from Linda's heart and the reminder that God is not busy, if I am to be His likeness, WHY am I? Deep breath, in and out. What can GO so that I can BREATHE? It's time to take inventory, once again. As we begin another school year, my main focus must be on Him and on caring for my family. Everything else needs to compliment and enhance those priorities or they must go. Do I have enough courage to say NO to the good and YES to His best?

No comments: