Tonight D and I spent about two hours looking at options for next year's home school curriculum. For our first year of this adventure, we chose A Beka DVD school. I was feeling a bet vulnerable and the idea that the boys' schooling rested 90% on my shoulders felt overwhelming. The plan has worked to a degree, but A Beka is so acedemic and very worksheet driven. It's not the best way to go with three little boys. They have actually asked me to teach them more and I think I am ready for the challenge. Goodness knows, I will learn right along with them.
Next year we will go with My Father's World unit studies. The course is designed so that children study and learn together in History, Geography, Science, Bible, etc. When the time comes to do assignments, those are given out according to grade levels. Each set comes with tons of great resources and manipulatives that make the concepts relevant. We would begin with "Exploring Countries and Cultures" for the first year and then move through a five year rotation.
We also need to choose a Math cirriculum as well as a Language Arts cirriculum. For math we are probably going to go with Math U See. B has excelled with Math U See this year and he will complete another level by the next school year. The Language issue is still up in the air. A Beka is an option, but it is so advanced. Right now, in fifth grade, B is writing a research paper that includes bibliography, 30 note cards, three illustrations, cover page, title page, outline and an 800 word report. FIFTH GRADE. I think I was in high school before I did anything of that magnitute. Funnily enough, he's knocking it out. His writing flows and I need to ask him "Are those YOUR words?" because it is so effortless...Maybe I am talking myself into staying with A Beka, even as I write this. We shall see.
So, if any of you home school moms want to make suggetions, fire away! I am really looking forward to this new chapter of our lives.
1 comment:
i am so excited you are doing MFW!!! i have loved it!! we are going to skip ECC and move right into Creation to the Greeks starting here in a couple weeks. mostly becasue i want to start learning about our history starting with creation and the boys like whatever we do since it is so hands on!!! you really should come on sat - you might find some of the books you need - USED!!! be prepared to feel like you arent doing enough after using abeka! MFW is much more hands on, reading and kid directed versus workbooks - which is what we love about it (with 3 boys of my own)!!
very exciting!! you will love it and enjoy it so much more than abeka!!!
Post a Comment