Sunday, April 12, 2009

Grave, Where Is Your Victory?

I love the way we can taunt the empty tomb. "Grave, where is your victory? Death, where is your sting?" Every religion that has come and gone since the dawn of time had a founder, a prophet, a leader. And every one can point to a grave and say "Here is where he rests." Every religion except Christianity. Our leader, creator, king and savior is Jesus Christ. He took all our sins upon Himself, suffered, bled, died, went to hell on our behalf, took the keys of life and death and rose again to show that death has no hold over Him. He is alive. The stone was rolled away, stained grave clothes are all that remained. He's alive. He's alive!

I no longer have to sacrifice a lamb on an alter to atone for my ghastly sins. As I've been reading in Leviticus this week, I am overwhelmed by the tedious process people had to go through to be cleansed of their sins. My queasy stomach alone would have kept me from grace. But, once again, I am so thankful for the spotless Lamb who came. The Son of God left the glory and splendor of heaven. He came to earth as a lowly baby, was born in a stable full of smelly animals, grew up the son of a humble carpenter, walked the earth as a man and never once sinned. He willingly laid down His life to be beaten and crucified, endured horrific accusations and uttered not one word of self defense. He did it all for me. For you! Grave, WHERE is your victory? You could not hold Him. He is risen. He is alive. He lives in my heart and I want my life to be a living epistle, to be read by all. Not perfect, but striving for perfection. He is worthy of my all! Thank You, Jesus, for taking my place on that tree.

No comments: