B went on another field trip today with his classmates from his old school. We invited his buddy, M over to spend the night. In the morning, all four boys will play soccer. It has been interesting to see how my boys have managed the transition to home school, with regard to the social aspect. The twins seem less fazed by the change, as they have each other. B, on the other hand, struggles with it, mainly because he misses M so much. They met in preschool and have been inseparable since kindergarten. With soccer, field trips, sleepovers and lunch with the families, these boys have been able to see each other at least twice a week. Typically we do not encourage the term "best friend." I remember the painful years of being "in" one day and "out" the next, stuck in a vicious "three's a crowd" arrangement. I want my boys to be spared of that kind of pain, and I want them to spare other children in the same way. Thus, the term "best friend" has been outlawed in the Baker house. I make one exception. "Boys, the best friends you'll ever have on this earth are your brothers. They will be with you when others come and go."Still, M is a very special friend! He fits into our family like a fourth son and we hope the boys will have a life-long friendship.


No comments:
Post a Comment