Through the years, I have had to defend my role as a stay-at-home mom. I think that is rather (very) unfair, as this is what I am called to and know it's what I'm on the earth to do. I don't try to decide that for anyone else, but I know this is where I am to be. There is a misconception that being a stay-at-home mom means I sit around all day, watch soaps and accomplish nothing. I am here to blow the top off that theory. Being a SAH Mom is work. Hard work. On Thursday, while I was out shopping, D stayed home and did some of what I do every day. How was he? In the middle of the day he was already worn out. That evening he declared "I don't know how you do this EVERY SINGLE DAY." And, I might add, he was not schooling the boys.
After coming off the 16 day Christmas break, I was dreading how today might go. As we pulled out books, tore pages out of workbooks, blew the dust off B's keyboard, I was trembling inside. I was sure that I wouldn't have the energy or patience to get through the day. I was scared that the boys would be too sleepy to work. Thankfully, the day has gone smoothly. The boys were very focused and I was able to catch up on grading some of B's assignments while I supervised the twins. I thought it would be good to post a schedule of "a day in the life of THIS SAH Mom..."
6:30--Wake up, devotional time
7:30--Wake boys, they watch 30 minutes of "Martha Speaks" and eat breakfast
8:15-12--School is in session (I get my 3 mile workout in during seat work/recess time)
12-1--Lunch and Legos/Shower time for mom
1-3--QUIET TIME...For the boys, this is time to read or nap. For mom, computer time, reading, napping or calling a friend.
4-5:30--Boys play Legos or go outside, mom cooks dinner or finishes chores
5:30--Daddy arrives/Dinner/Clean up
6-8--Family time (we are going to try to be more deliberate about making Monday-Wednesday evening a focused time. After reading and spelling homework, Mondays will be for music, Tuesdays will be for Science experiments and Wednesdays will be for other projects)
8-8:30--Brush teeth, dad reads to boys, thankfuls, prayers, lights out!
No comments:
Post a Comment