Thursday, January 22, 2009

Taking Care Of My Boy

My oldest son, B has been "off" for several weeks. He didn't have a fever or any other symptoms that would merit a costly trip to the doctor, so we kept an eye on him, insisted that he get lots of rest, take vitamins and even slept on the couch near him when he was struggling to go to sleep. On Tuesday, he had a fever and he's kept one since. When it spikes, he vomits and his throat is raw. We'll be going to visit the doc tomorrow, because I suspect a sinus infection or Strep. The juggling act this week has been intense. Trying to keep the twins on task, catching B up in the moments that he feels a bit more perky, keeping the house picked up, collecting over $1,000 from outstanding orders (OUCH) before the credit card bill is due, dealing with the stress of D's job changes...I have been frazzled and very short. In it all, my little man looks up at me and says, "Mom, thanks for taking care of me." And all the other "stuff" just fades away (for a second or two). I assured him that I love taking care of him, I only wish I could take the sickness from him. It hurts a mother's heart to watch her child suffer.

1 comment:

mama j said...

((Hugs)) to you all. Hang in there.....flu is horrid and exhausting--sometimes, I think/believe, harder on the Mama.

Every time my heart breaks, like that, for my sickies, I think "How much did God's heart break and hurt, as He watched His Only Son DIE DIE DIE on the cross, for my ugly sins?" And then, I end up even sadder.... ;o)

Love you.